Go Back   Cadalyst Discussion Forums > Forums > CAD Questions
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

CAD Questions Need Help? Moderator Paul Aubin and the CAD community tackle all your CAD-related questions.

Old 08-03-2001, 01:59 PM

Default AutoCAD \"Not Responding\"

Is there anyone out there who knows why I get a "Not Responding" problem with AutoCAD? I am on a Windows 2000 platform using AutoCAD 2000 (P-III 866 with 256 Mb RAM). This mostly happens with larger drawings (over 5 Mb).

Thanks.

Chuck Ulrey:confused
Old 08-03-2001, 02:52 PM

Default Re: AutoCAD \"Not Responding\"

It could be a number of things. One of of the problems is that you may not have enough memory for these larger drawings. Have you checked your virtual ram? A safe standard is twice your physical ram. In this case, 512mb, but some people go 3 or 4 times higher. Set the minimum and the maximum to the same amount. Have you tried opening these files with "recover"? If you happen to get it open, run an audit.
Old 08-03-2001, 11:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

More RAM is better. I'm running with 512M and it's sufficient for anything I do. I chew up 200M just turning my machine on. And then another 56M when I load AutoCAD. So, I've got 256M left for whatever. My swap file is set to 200M instead of the 1.5GB suggested by Windows but it's never used because of all the RAM I've got. Heck, memory is cheap. Buy more and it will speed things up. I worked for a company and my local machine only had 128M. My swap file was going nuts and really slowed things down.
Old 08-06-2001, 07:25 AM

I am thinking that I will not be able to acquire any more RAM, so I will have to deal with the Not Responding problem. The IT department here is not great...maybe my next job will be better!

Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by andyand:
More RAM is better. I'm running with 512M and it's sufficient for anything I do. I chew up 200M just turning my machine on. And then another 56M when I load AutoCAD. So, I've got 256M left for whatever. My swap file is set to 200M instead of the 1.5GB suggested by Windows but it's never used because of all the RAM I've got. Heck, memory is cheap. Buy more and it will speed things up. I worked for a company and my local machine only had 128M. My swap file was going nuts and really slowed things down.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 08-06-2001, 03:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

AutoCAD 'times out' if it can't get the data fast enough. If you're loading from a CD that might be part of the problem although I've loaded a 64M file (one main drawing and 6 xref's) from a CD and it's OK. Takes awhile, though. If you're loading from a server it could very well be that the traffic is so heavy that the server can't send it to your station fast enough to suit your system or the server has another group(s) with a higher priority. I've heard of companies that have engineering, accounting, payroll, inventory, sales and the office fooball pool on on the same server. If you employ more than 7 people that's not a good idea

[This message has been edited by andyand (edited August 07, 2001).]