Go Back   Cadalyst Discussion Forums > Forums > CAD Questions
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

CAD Questions Need Help? Moderator Paul Aubin and the CAD community tackle all your CAD-related questions.

Old 05-25-2001, 12:16 PM

Default Acad dwg to freehand look

Apart from Squiggle, is there any other product that would print/generate freehand/manual like drawing?
Old 05-25-2001, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Acad dwg to freehand look

for 3d stuff i like to use piranesi (http://www.parch.com/piranesi.html).

exporting to poser 4 as 3ds and using the sketch render produces beautiful results. i wish metacrations would create a sketch renderer for 3d studio.....

.....does anyone know of a sketch renderer for 3d studio?

for 2d, i dont know and thanks for the heads up on squiggle
Old 05-29-2001, 03:19 AM
MJN

I use NAPKIN for simple 2D sketch effects. I don't remember where I got it, but I'm sure you'll find it on TENLINKS.COM A nice free utility and easy to use.
MJN
Old 05-30-2001, 05:54 PM

There are routines in a shareware package I posted on the CADalog and CADDepot sites that emulate the squiggle affect. These are designed to be run on a COPY of your drawing in order to prepare "presentation" sketches with a freehand look. You wouldn't want to do this to a REAL drawing, trust me. Just like Squiggle it takes a little while to run, but unlike Squiggle you can undo at each step or "tweak" selected areas to mess them up more. The process involves a series of commands that break lines and arcs up into smaller segments, randomly "skew" the resulting segments back and forth a little, and randomly extend the endpoints of the lines. The drawing file will get rather large.

BR= (Break Equal)
A>LN (Arc to Line)
KINK (Kink Lines)
SLOP (Sloppy Lines)
TLNG (Text Line Ghost)

TLNG creates "guide lines" in color 8 around existing text. Brings back memories of Drafting 101 whe used with a good freehand font.

These have been automated somewhat in a macro called JOCKO (In memory of James O. Collins). It's a little awkward, but I think it gives you better control over the process than with Squiggle.

The shareware package is called OttoMottO. I suspect you might be so intrigued by Otto, the artificially-intelligent "guy in the box" who hosts the software, that you might forget why you downloaded it in the first place. It is a rather extensive package. You might give it a look.