Go Back   Cadalyst Discussion Forums > Forums > CAD Questions
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

CAD Questions Need Help? Moderator Paul Aubin and the CAD community tackle all your CAD-related questions.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:09 PM

Default Drawings opening WAAAYYYYY too slow

I need some help from anybody. I work at an architectural company and we work on residential and commercial projects. We use AutoCAD 2008. We do Sections, Plans, Elevations, and Site Plans. I recently got a project brought to my attention by one of my coworkers, that is opening extremely slow. The actual drawings are fine but when you go to open a sheet drawing w/ xrefs in it, it takes forever to open. I detached the xref and the drawing opened just fine. I tried loading the xref both as an attachment and an overlay and neither of these seemed to make a difference in loading speed. I purged the drawing, I audited it, and recovered it and it didn't make a difference. I would appreciate any help I can get. The drawing is 1MB. Thanks
Old 09-03-2008, 04:54 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to rkmcswain

Make sure none of these drawings contain too many scale list entries. If so, see: http://rkmcswain.blogspot.com/2007/1...cale-list.html
Old 09-04-2008, 05:51 AM

Default Where is the XREF

Is the XREF file stored on the same drive as the drawing you are opening? If the xref file is on another computer - another drive - or on a server, it may be a network issue. We've had that happen here before and the solution was to switch out the Cat5 cable for a new one - then everything worked great. If the xref file isn't local - you may want to experiment by making a copy of the file and storing it locally with the drawing you are opening up - if everything opens quickly you have your answer.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:17 AM

I'm guessing you are using '09, which is gaining noteriety for occassionally running slower than Christmas with little or no pattern.
This is worse, in my present experience, under Vista, but XP is no speed demon, either.
More Layouts tends to be slower, but that's true for many recent ACADs; Layer Filters, too are a slow-down--had one the other day with more filters (none named or organized) than Layers <eyeroll>.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:26 PM

Unhappy re: Drawings opening...too slowly.

My colleagues have already suggested you see about purging or deleting unnecessary scale lists, layer filters, layouts, etc.

You've also indicated that the file - minus it's xref attachement - seems to load quickly and without delay.

You've also indicated that you audited and purged the xref too.

There are only three more things that I can think of to put forward as possible solutions:

1. (This will sound elementary, but just as the tech guys always check to see if the problematic computer has power and is turned on...) Check to see that your xref doesn't have one (or more, possibly many more) frozen layers. If it does, thaw them and see what (if anything) is on them - you might find an awful lot of "dark matter" out there.

2. Also, check to see that someone hasn't "inserted" a master symbol or detail drawing, or a "master abc-company architectural base sheet." If something like this has occured it would not only add dozens of layers, linetypes, hatches, dimstyles, test styles, and blocks - but as a single "block" itself it could reside on a single (frozen ? ) layer . Or it could be thawed and visible, just way out in left-field (as a "dot" in a really large zoom extents). And, if it were scaled down (say, if someone not only accidentally ("Accidentally on purpose, I say ...Even paranoids have real enemies...") inserted it - but they inserted it at .01 scale...), it just might appear as a little unremarkable dot on a full extents display that didn't appear to otherwise have anything way out there in the cheap seats.

3. Lastly, you could try to "cut-up" your xref into smaller chunks. (I recommend doing this via WBLOCK, use 0,0 as your base - and having first, OF COURSE, backed up your original.) Then, separately load up each piece for auditing, purging, and VISUAL inspection. Then re-create your xref. Hopefully, this will prove to be a smaller and quicker loading file.

Hope this helps.

"There is NO fire I can not start, nor make bigger."

mitchellhirschklau@yahoo.com
Old 09-04-2008, 06:27 PM

on this question, does anyone have issues with LDD 08, 06 loaded so quickly, 08 is a snail.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:23 PM

Default Thanks R.K. Mcswain

Thanks R.K. the solution was in the scalelistedit command. I had tried doing that but I hadn't done this.

Clean from the inside out or the bottom up, depending on your point of view. Start at the lowest level xref drawing and work your way up to the parent xref drawing.
If Drawing "A" is xrefed into Drawing "B" and Drawing "B" is xrefed into Drawing "C" -- then clean "A", then "B", then "C" - in that order.

Thank you sooo much, now I can get some sleep.