Go Back   Cadalyst Discussion Forums > Forums > CAD Questions
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

CAD Questions Need Help? Moderator Paul Aubin and the CAD community tackle all your CAD-related questions.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:50 AM

Default is there a maximum number of layot tabs in autocad

Just a quickie- I have a user who has got up to 200 layout tabs on one drawing, he is asking me if there is an upper limit to how many tabs he can have?
I cant find anything in any of the documentation, anyone know?
Grendel
Old 11-09-2006, 09:58 AM

He's not satisfied with only 200? hehe
Had a quick look and cannot find anything that gives a figure, but I'm sure my CAD course a few years back mentioned something about this...?
Old 11-09-2006, 12:44 PM

Appears to be no limit, but maximum of 255 can be displayed, according to http://www.cadforum.cz/cadforum_en/qaID.asp?tip=2066

==================================================

Q What is the maximum number of layouts?
A 255 is the maximal number of displayed layout tabs in AutoCAD. You can create more layouts but their tabs are not displayed and so it is difficult to select them.
In such cases you can use the _Layout command, _Set option to select them. Enter the name of your layout and AutoCAD switches to it, even without the displayed tab.

See an example (ZIP, 22kB) of a DWG with 302 layouts.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:02 PM

Once you reach this many tabs I'm a bit surprised you don't think about using Xrefs and breaking this data into more than one file. I suppose it depends on your project and your needs.
Seiler Instrument
Old 11-10-2006, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLMyers
Once you reach this many tabs I'm a bit surprised you don't think about using Xrefs and breaking this data into more than one file. I suppose it depends on your project and your needs.
That is with Xrefs - these files when they have all of the xrefs loaded contain over 3000 layers, its a big project with lots of data needing to be displayed, and we are trying to streamline it in such a way that only one thing needs altering for any changes. the files themselves are only 5Mb which shows how much we have already moved to Xref.
Grendel
Old 11-10-2006, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB
Appears to be no limit, but maximum of 255 can be displayed, according to http://www.cadforum.cz/cadforum_en/qaID.asp?tip=2066

==================================================

Q What is the maximum number of layouts?
A 255 is the maximal number of displayed layout tabs in AutoCAD. You can create more layouts but their tabs are not displayed and so it is difficult to select them.
In such cases you can use the _Layout command, _Set option to select them. Enter the name of your layout and AutoCAD switches to it, even without the displayed tab.

See an example (ZIP, 22kB) of a DWG with 302 layouts.
Thanks for that info - I have let him know.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:34 AM

Ok, I'm trying to imagine what sort of file has 200 different printable pages, let alone more than 200 . . .

Isn't that the sort of thing "Sheet Sets" is supposed to "prevent"?

Sorting out 5 or 6 printers is hard enough for most offices, so these drawings are, what? Ten separate pages per printer, all in one drawing file? I'm pretty sure I don't want to click on that Modelspace tab if there's enough data to support that many sheets.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:39 AM

The modelspace would have to be very well organized or you would be lost....
Old 11-13-2006, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas
The modelspace would have to be very well organized or you would be lost....
LoL!
Silly swivel engineers set me an entire set of drawings poorly organized as layout tabs in two files (with overlapping sheets, like A, X, 1-7 of 10; and 3-10 of 10 & B, D, L pages). Calling the MS "organized" would be an understatement (especially with it Zoomed, Extents to a dot over there, some dots on the other side and other dots over there) . . .
Old 11-14-2006, 08:04 AM

Well its like this - we are talking about a site the size of a small town (well a few of them actually) with all the records for the utilities. add to that the new build sites (xreffed in) and the as builts (also xreffed) and proposed. then consider there are many areas of new build- each with its quota of drawings. I am dreading when we get to the site that is a meduim sized town.
the problem as I see it is that we are already xreffing stuff in (which already has stuff xreffed to it )- if we tried to have some of the drawings as xrefs from this drawing we start getting problems with the nesting of the xrefs and losing details. unfortunately some of the stuff we are xreffing in has thousands of layers - these drawings ar over 3000 layers each. now for the layouts we need certain layers of information only.
basically we do have everything tied down or xreffed already that we can. our other problem is that they are changing the xrefs we attach on a weekly basis, so working the site in several drawings seperately would mean spending a lot more time re-attaching the xrefs, with the associated chances of things being missed during the updates.
oh and to add we are only sending this to 1 printer.
grendel