Go Back   Cadalyst Discussion Forums > Forums > CAD Questions
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

CAD Questions Need Help? Moderator Paul Aubin and the CAD community tackle all your CAD-related questions.

Old 06-27-2003, 01:07 PM

Default Changing MText Width Factor

AutoCAD 2002 - Is there a way to change the width **factor** of individual MText entities? The actual width of the entity is changed by clicking & dragging a grip, and in the edit mode, but not the width factor - the variable that affects how wide the individual characters are. Changing the width factor for a Style will change the width factor for ALL MText entities of that Style. I don't want to do that. I often would like to change the width factor on individual items to make things fit a bit better here and there, as you can do with DText. And the width factor doesn't come up for MText in a Properties list, as it does for DText. Any suggestions? Am I missing something obvious? Thanx! Tim
Old 07-01-2003, 04:40 AM

Default Re: Changing MText Width Factor

I saw this on newsline_HTML@********.com

2. FOLLOWUP TO LAST WEEK'S AUTOCAD MTEXT TIP
Richard Patterson of Tauranga, New Zealand, sent in a permanent cure for mtext width problems:

This simple addition to the button macro via Customize cures all the mtext width problems permanently:
^C^C_mtext \w;0;

And if you wish to designate a particular layer, try the following (replace the word 'Text' with your own notation layer)

^C^C-la;m;Text;c;7;;^C^C_mtext \w;0;

John Palmer of Hadley, MA, offers an easier way to change the settings manually: pick the first point and then type the @ symbol for the second point. With mtext that already exists, you can use the Properties dialog box to set the width to 0.

Old 07-01-2003, 05:20 AM

I thought I was confused before. Okay if all you want to do is stretch mtext to fit into an area is grip it and stretch accordingly to fit. Now if you want a certain line to stop,
and then proceed onto the next line then all you have to do is give it a hard return. Otherwise never place a hard return in your MTEXT. If your trying to change the actual width of a piece of a text within a sentence for dramatic appearance change it to bold or change the character to something like ROMANC. Other option would be to change color to match a wider pen setting. (If your setup to plot width by-color. If I totally missed out on what your trying to achieve, then I apologize. If I helped, your welcome. Have a nice day
Old 07-01-2003, 05:53 AM

Guys, he is not talking about the overall width of the mtext entity, but rather the text width factor, for example our text is set to a width factor of 0.85

TDH_SE, other than changing the width in the actual style, I don't know know of a way to do it.
Old 07-01-2003, 06:11 AM

To brinsr, chidowntown and CDH:
brinsr ? I?m trying to change the width **factor** for an individual MText entity. (Please see my original posting.) This is different than the overall width, which can indeed be adjusted by moving the grips, or changing its specified width via Properties. I want to be able to fit more ? or less - characters in a given distance ? same as can be done with DText. I don?t want to emphasize any part of the MText ? just vary the ?compression? of the text in a given width. But thanks for your help, brinsr - it's appreciated.
chidowntown ? Using your command does indeed set the MTEXT width to zero (interesting ? didn?t know that could be done ? must be more than 0.01 via Style command). Anyway, the MText?s width factor (and overall width) is then dictated entirely by the width factor set via the Style command. The trouble is, ALL MText is affected, and changes accordingly with that single specified width factor. I am trying to change the width factor of a single or selected MText entity. Usually, trying to squeeze more text into the same space without needing more width or lines of text.
CDH - Yes, I guess it?s just not to be this time. Thanks for your help, folks.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:15 AM

I thought that's what you wanted in your first posting, the reply confused me, thought I'd misunderstood. Okay whew! I've been really stumped on this as I would of never tried anything like it. Except in our situation I do scale certain text up and change it's color. I can not find away to change text font width for only a few pieces of text within a paragraph. Wouldn't it look a bit funny anyways to have nice evenly spaced text then all of a sudden smooshed tight or wide text in the middle of a paragraph? Why not just create another text style with the desired width and change the whole paragraph accordingly? But hey it's been fun trying to figure something new out!
Old 07-03-2003, 11:33 AM

I could not think of anything that would quickly take care of this except for the obvious......

exploding the mtext to dtext editing the width and then converting the dtext back to mtext using the txt2mtxt command from the express pull down. Extra steps but it gets the job done.

(I'm using Acad V. 2000)
Old 07-03-2003, 05:33 PM

If you want COMPLETE control over your text, try DDChText from manusoft.com. The program comes with a 37 page manual and it tells you how to you manipulate text anyway you want. If you can't do what you want with this program, you don't need it

[This message has been edited by andyanderson (edited July 03, 2003).]
Old 07-08-2003, 10:29 PM

Here is one way to change the width-factor of the text.
1: Enter "mtexted" at the command line.
2. Enter "notepad.exe" for the text editor.
3: Start the "mtext" command.
Notepad will start up. Use tracking switches (\Tx to change the text width.
Do steps above, then copy and paste the following text into Notepad:

\T1; Hello Senior
\T1.5; Hello Senior
\T2; Hello Senior

4: Close Notepad, and choose "yes" to save the changes.
To return to your normal mtext editor, enter "mtexted" again, and enter a "." (dot)
Your regular mtext editor does not recognize these switches, so you will want to do this only as needed.

Flores
Old 07-09-2003, 09:35 AM

\T affects the character spacing, \W will control the actual width of each letter.

Enclosing the \W and the text in curly brackets will modify only that text within the whole.

Example:
THIS IS A {\W2;WIDE} TEXT TEST.

In the above example the word WIDE will have a width factor of 2, had the \W2 been followed by an X as in \W2X it would have been twice as wide as defined in the style.

\H controls height
\C controls color
\F controls font

Example:
{\L\W1.2\H1.7X\C7\FROMAND;_ NOTE: _} 1.) FOR GENERAL NOTES AND DRAWING INDEX SEE DRAWING 613067-M-000.

The word NOTE: above will be underlined (\L), width of 1.2, height of 1.7 times the style, color white, font romand. The rest of the text is by style and layer.